… and Top 100 Retail Blogs, Websites & Influencers since 2018 by Feedspot
The Fashion Retailer | Fashion Business Insights and more
Mentions & Collaborations
Retail Business News & Insights | +200 Compelling Articles
The Fashion Retailer was founded in 2017 as a blog specializing in news, insights, opinion essays and conversations with leading fashion technology entrepreneurs and executives. It focuses on the latest fashion retail trends, considering the entire value chain from a business standpoint.
Why a blog about fashion retail?
Fashion Retail, Fashion and Retailing, apparently two different worlds. We often distinguish between Creativity and Science, Design and Operations. The core concept of our blog is to bridge the gap between these two sides of the coin – the Yin and Yang of the fashion industry. We believe that retail is evolving from traditional flagship stores to dynamic brandships, embracing diverse store concepts and formats. Contrary to popular belief, fashion retail is far from dead; it is simply adapting to thrive in the digital era. The rise of omnichannel strategies has given birth to new ecosystems, where seamless integration across online and offline channels is reshaping the industry landscape. Our blog aims to explore these transformations, shed light on emerging trends, and provide insights into the ever-evolving world of fashion retail in the digital age.
The Fashion Retailer
Alfonso Segura, founder of The Fashion Retailer. Born in Barcelona in 1984. Sociologist and IESE Executive MBA with +16 years of experience in the Retail Industry. Published “Fashion Retail Safari” (2019) and “Fashion Goes Tech” (2021) books.
I’m an outdoor sports enthusiast, streetart explorer, sharks fan and passionate about the business of fashion and retail.
Retail Expert and Strategy & Management Consultant
I had the opportunity to work in the marketing department at luxury (Ermenegildo Zegna) and mass-market (Mango) fashion retailers. Then, I was an entrepreneur and partner at Normandie (A premium baby clothing brand) where I was in charge of marketing, e-Commerce, operations and retail. Normandie opened shop-in-shops in El Corte Inglés and Harrods (London).
I worked at Accenture Strategy, from analyst to subject-matter expert (SME) specializing in the retail industry, both in business innovation and strategy & operations. During that period, I have lived in two of the coolest cities in the world, where culture, fashion and art are everywhere. Those are Istanbul (Turkey) and Cape Town (South Africa). I’ve been involved in projects for Electronics, DIY, Foods and Fashion retailers in Europe, Latin America and Africa.
In January 2019, I joined Infor (global enterprise software company) as Retail Principal to contribute in driving digital transformation and Omnichannel in the Retail Industry. I’m the former Group Transformation Director of AWWG (Pepe Jeans, Hackett, Façonnable, PVH agency in Iberia) where orchestrated and accelerated initiatives across all business areas (HR, Marketing, Design, Planning, Finance, Retail, Wholesale, Digital, eCom, Operations).
My latest collaborations (2021-23) include Senior Business Advisor at Oliver Wyman and Subject Matter Advisor (SMA) at Accenture Strategy.
I’m an independent Strategy and Management Consultant driving commercial strategy development, operational execution, retail innovation and digitalization for lifestyle brands. Also strategy advisor at Brownie (womenswear brand) and board member at several fashion retail companies.
- Mentor at Desigual Awesome Lab – Fashion Technology Accelerator
- Startup Advisor
- Published Fashion Retail Safari (2019) and Fashion Goes Tech (March 2021)
- Collaborate with Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) Capital Markets in Retail Research
- Advising Fashion Masters students worldwide (e.g. Istituto Marangoni, Parsons, IUBH) in Research. Topics include the Future of Retail, Customer Experience and Digital Transformation
- Guest writer at Fibre2Fashion
Main areas of expertise:
- Business Strategy and Execution
- Digital Transformation / Omnichannel
- Commercial Due Diligence
- Customer Experience
- Fashion Retail Trends expert
- Strategy Implementation
- Omnichannel Distribution
- Retail Innovation
- Merchandising Strategy
- Data Analytics
- Management Consulting
- Business Process Improvement
- Store Operations
- Top 100 Retail Blogs, Websites & Influencers in 2018-2021 by Feedspot
- “Fashion Retail Safari” book included in “50 Best Retail Books of All Times” by BookAuthority
Mentions & Collaborations Selection
- Drapers – What are the essential ingredients for successful store retail?
- Digital Media Net – “The new dimensions adding to the retail sectors with AR and VR technology”
- Beyond Great: Nine Strategies for Thriving in an Era of Social Tension, Economic Nationalism, and Technological Revolution (2020. Arindam Bhattacharya, Nikolaus Lang, and Jim Hemerling).
- Business First – “Is there a place for VR in retail?“
- Entrepreneur Resources – “New Technology Innovating Retail Sectors”
- Business Insider – “LVMH ordered 40 million face masks to help France fight the coronavirus — from Dior to Givenchy, here are 17 of the most iconic brands the conglomerate owns”
- KANTAR Media / Retail Edge Analytix (REA) – Articles
- BookAuthority – 19 Best New Retail eBooks To Read In 2020
- VoCoVo – The Retail Reading List: February 2020
- Saïd Business School, University of Oxford – Mentioned in “Navigating the New Retail Landscape”, by Jonathan Reynolds and Alan Treadgold – Oxford University Press (OUP)
- Grupo Vocento – “La tienda del futuro la llevamos en el bolsillo” – Interview/ Insights published (Grupo Vocento, the leading multimedia communications group in the general press market in Spain)
- London College of Fashion – Fashion and Sustainability: Understanding Luxury Fashion in a Changing World
- Quora – What are the best blogs for online fashion retailers in the US?
- FashionABC – “AI And Blockchain And The $3 Trillion Fashion Industry – Challenges and Opportunities“
- eCommerce CEO – “How To Start A Clothing Line Business Online”
- Tinuiti – “The 7 Biggest CPG Industry Trends & Tactics For Brands In 2020”
- BookAuthority – Best Retail Books of All Time
- RetailFuse – Artificial Intelligence and personal preference in the Fashion Industry
- Web Marketing Bologna – Realtà aumentata e virtuale (AR/VR) e impatto economico nel settore della moda
- Makers Valley – Made-to-Order Fashion Tackles the Industry’s Biggest Sustainability Issue
- FirstAlign – 5 Ways Artificial Intelligence is used in the Fashion Industry
- The Iconoclast – Can Family-Owned Brands Resist Luxury Industry Consolidation
- Design Inc – How Technology Is Shaping The Future Of The Fashion Industry
- Rise 360 – Technology Case Studies 2020
- Academia Moda Sostenible – Colecciones Cápsula
- University of the Arts London – Workflow
- Xreport (Russian Magazine) – The FashTech Ecosystem
- Truth About Fur – As Brands Drop Exotic Skins, Will Conglomerates Fight Back?
- Top Webinars – United Colors of Benetton: Embracing Online Millennial Shoppers
- Fibre2Fashion – A brand’s perspective on sourcing and supply chain strategy in facing covid-19 challenges.
- Chain of Demand − Spotlight with Alfonso Segura, CEO/Founder of The Fashion Retailer
- Fashion Retail Safari by Alfonso Segura, published on Amazon
- Hypebeast − “To Survive, Department Stores Are Taking Cues From Streetwear”
- Seeking Alpha − “Becoming A Conglomerate: Tapestry’s Pains From Integrating Kate Spade“
- Expense Reduction Analysts − “Fashion brands begin trialling circular economy business models”
- Yle – “Vaateteollisuudessa merkittävä määrä kangasta päätyy leikkuujätteeksi kaatopaikalle, mitä asialle voi tehdä? Tässä kolme esimerkkiä“
- The Business Online – How is virtual reality used in the retail sector?
- Digital Trends − “Ford’s 3D knitting tech ensures your seats won’t burst at the seams”
- Medium – How Technology Is Shaping The Future Of The Fashion Industry
- Apptus − “The Long Tail & the Head: Care for Both“
- Intelligent HQ − “Fashtech AI Blockchain and the $3 Trillion Fashion Industry“
- Senior Essays − “Impact of sustainable and circular fashion on brands”
Thanks for visiting my blog about fashion retail and hope you can learn something from it!
The Fashion Retailer. The Blog about Fashion Industry News, Insights and Conversations with Fashion Tech Leaders